[Xastir] Tutorial?

Mike M kf7mbk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:14:13 EST 2015

It's working!
I'm not sure what was different.. I think maybe since the world map by
default has a layer number larger than the other maps if you don't
explicitly set it on your selected map, the maps were always buried?  I
dunno.  But it's working now with OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo...albeit tile
is no longer up, that all the online OSM maps would not work.  I know at
one point I had many of them selected and never got anything to come up.

Yes, Bernard said he was looking to release an updated distro in a month or
two. The current distro will not boot a RP2 until it's had an apt-get
update/upgrade.

So the next step.. how can I figure out why my map file doesn't show up in
the map chooser?

If I reindex all maps, the console says:

Indexing Maps...
1 File could not be read
DB->get: method not permitted before handles open method
Finished indexing maps

I don't know if it matters, but the file is 2.5gb.
If I 'head' my file, it starts "mapsforge binary OSM"

I just liked this file because it was a manageable size and had the whole
US. I'd be open to other locally saved formats (This will be a mobile
install). At http://xastir.org/index.php/Xastir_Maps, the first 4 links for
vector maps are all dead.  Any place (or tutorial) I can download/make up
to date maps?

Thanks so much for your assistance!