[Xastir] Magick Error - Ubuntu 15.04

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Dec 12 19:58:36 EST 2015

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 07:19:25PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I recently upgraded an Ubuntu 14.10 installation to 15.04.  Prior to the
> upgrade, Xastir worked fine.  It was a March 2015 build from CVS.  After
> the upgrade, online maps did not work.  In the terminal I saw this:
>
> Magick: No decode delegate for this image format ().
> Could not allocate canvas to hold tiles.
>
> [...]  Then without changing any installed software I grabbed the
> latest Xastir source from CVS, re-compiled, and the maps were back with no
> errors in the terminal window.
>
> So problem solved, but given the OS had been upgraded, I wonder if just
> re-compiling the March version of Xastir would have been enough.  I'm not
> aware of any changes to Xastir between March and now that were designed to
> address compatibility with a newer version of GraphicsMagick.

There have not been any code changes to Xastir in a while.  A very long
while, actually.

Odds are that you would have found everything to be working after a recompile/
relink after the upgrade.   Rebuilding Xastir is always the first thing I
do after completing an OS upgrade, because I expect there to be shared library
issues in the binary.  I'm surprised it even ran at all.