[Xastir] Regarding Offline OSM and dbfawk

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:07:34 EST 2015

> On Dec 20, 2015, at 1:48 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> Unless, of course, you meant "all the info in USGS topo maps" when you wrote
> "topo data."  I meant only the contour lines, which you can get pretty easily.

Contours are certainly the main thing, although the occasional stream, peak, or hilltop would no go amiss.

Unfortunately my main area of interest is in TVA territory, and last time I looked (years ago) USGS did not cover TVA territory, and TVA did not release the data. If you've got a suggestion for getting contour data I'm all ears...

It does seem like a lot of features I need are in the geofabrik files if I figure out how to extract what I want.

It's clear that the '06 tiger data is dated at this point, so it's probably worth the effort to get some up to date data sources.

Does anyone have a feel for how much the geofabrik files may mutate (in a way that would invalidate a dbfawk) over time?

-j