[Xastir] Regarding Offline OSM and dbfawk

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Dec 20 14:48:30 EST 2015

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 12:44:48PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:

> > I would love to get topo data in shapefile format...
>
> Well, that isn't actually all that hard

Unless, of course, you meant "all the info in USGS topo maps" when you wrote
"topo data."  I meant only the contour lines, which you can get pretty easily.

I generally have found in my area that the more the USGS improves the US Topo
files, the less information I need appears in them anyway --- info like
forest service trails and other wilderness-releated stuff.  So I use them only
as base  layers where I overlay more important data.

If you just meant you want maps as pretty as USGS topos without having to
use rasters, my statement about that not being hard is wrong.