[Xastir] Unable to enter data into dialogs after a little while

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jan 1 01:47:06 EST 2015

Have had this issue a few times recently while trying to use Xastir on
Ubuntu 14.04 during SAR missions.

After a few uses of dialog boxes, suddenly am finding that I can't type into
the text fields.  This seems unrelated to keyboard focus issues, and I haven't
correlated it with any particular events during the run.

The issue is cleared if I exit Xastir and restart, but returns after a few
uses.

I can paste data into the text boxes by typing into another window,
highlighting text, and then middle-clicking the text box.  It applies to all
dialogs --- object creation, messaging, coordinate calculator, you name it.

Has anyone else seen this crop up?

Windowing system is "gnome flashback."  Wondering if there's some weird
Motif/Gnome3 interaction problem.  Have not yet tried it under Unity (which I
hate (hate, hate, hate)).

Since this impacts object and message input, it makes for a very bad problem
during active SAR missions, and I'd like to start nailing it down.  I'm
working an ELT mission as I type this, and the issue resurfaced after exactly
two dialog boxes.