[Xastir] Who's current on Garmin handheld GPS models?

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 1 18:20:27 EDT 2015

Unfortunately,

  You are SOL with a DR.  There is no access to the TNC or data through anything. The port on the -8R and DR was for
programming only.  With the VX8GR there is/was a serial port socket just like the sockets on  the D7A, D7A(g) and D72A.
One could select the port to output waypoints so a handheld mapping GPS could read and plot them.

I confirmed with an -8GR owner a couple of years ago that the cable for with the round plug for the Kenwoods worked with the -8GR.
I looked up online on the GR manual and confirmed there is menu selection to output the waypoints.  It will work
except the GR is out of production.

The -8R/DR is a closed system.  Absolutely no access to the TNC whatsoever.  Cannot plug into Xastir and
use it as a Packet or KISS TNC so Xastir can control the rig like the Kenwoods.  You'd have to connect your
-8DR to an external TNC to be able to do that.  Sort of defeats the purpose, huh?

Kurt KC9LDH