[Xastir] Who's current on Garmin handheld GPS models?

Thomas Sprinzing thomas at sprinzing.org
Fri Jul 3 01:27:04 EDT 2015

Am 02.07.2015 um 00:20 schrieb Kurt:
> Unfortunately,
>
>    You are SOL with a DR.  There is no access to the TNC or data through anything. The port on the -8R and DR was for
> programming only.  With the VX8GR there is/was a serial port socket just like the sockets on  the D7A, D7A(g) and D72A.
> One could select the port to output waypoints so a handheld mapping GPS could read and plot them.

Aah, good to hear they're willing and able to learn!

> I confirmed with an -8GR owner a couple of years ago that the cable for with the round plug for the Kenwoods worked with the -8GR.
> I looked up online on the GR manual and confirmed there is menu selection to output the waypoints.  It will work
> except the GR is out of production.

yay. I really don't get their product management. Probsbly more internal
politics than real marketing, with all 3 of them big radio companies.

> The -8R/DR is a closed system.  Absolutely no access to the TNC whatsoever.  Cannot plug into Xastir and
> use it as a Packet or KISS TNC so Xastir can control the rig like the Kenwoods.  You'd have to connect your
> -8DR to an external TNC to be able to do that.  Sort of defeats the purpose, huh?

If in need to put extra cables and extra tnc on a radio to send
waypoints to (and from????) my gps, i'll go with an extra cheap cheap
handheld.Or buy a garmin gps dog tracker.

Big disappointment regarding those radios. Very big.

73

Thomas