[Xastir] Xastir with Kantronics KAM not transmitting

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jul 7 15:20:17 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 08:48:49PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mynixmail at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hi,
>
> I disassembled all the cables and double-checked that all the cables are as they
> should be.
>
> Just a question on the transmit part: Below is an excerpt from the data
> monitoring terminal. I noticed that the Converse character "K" is sent after the
> "TX->" part. I assume it is only displayed like that and that the TNC is placed
> in converse mode before the transmission (Sending "K" before the actual
> transmission).

"TX->" means "Xastir is transmitting the following data to the interface."

K puts the TNC into converse mode.  Once in converse mode, any data sent to
the TNC should be transmitted by the TNC.

Before sending any further commands to control the TNC, Xastir sends a
control-c to take the TNC out of converse mode.  This control C is not
displayed in the interface traffic window.

The control-c is actually sent at the beginning of every command, i.e. before
MYCALL, UNPROTO, and K.

The delay for KAM is happening after the K.

The text you quote below is only the text that is *sent* to the TNC.  Unless
you intercept it in some manner, you can't actually be sure the TNC is processing it properly.

It's been a while since I have used a command-mode serial TNC, but I am pretty
sure that after each of these commands, most such TNCs are supposed to emit
some kind of acknowlegement, e.g. "MYCALL was ..." and "UNPROTO was...".  That
your TNC isn't doing that could indicate that it is incorrectly processing the
commands.

Is your TNC in KISS mode?  If so, then you are using the wrong interface type.
These commands are intended for TNCs that are *NOT* in KISS mode ("Serial TNC"
interface type).  If you're in KISS mode, you should be using the "Serial KISS
TNC" interface type).