[Xastir] Do the garmin GPS's work for Trackers?

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:24:55 EDT 2015

I'm no expert on all the models of Nuvi's.  I was using a Nuvi-350 in
the Jeep connected to a Tracker2 TNC and it worked fine.  However:  I
had to have the GPS in it's cradle to get power, then had to have a
separate data cable plugged into the side which gave me NMEA serial to
feed to/from the Tracker2.

Check whether the Nuvi has a serial data cable available for it, and
whether you have to power the Nuvi separately from that cable (I did
for mine) to make it all work.  If there's no serial data cable
available for that model, then you won't be able to hook it to Xastir
or a TNC.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Skyler F <electricity440 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can confirm the BU-353 GPS works with XASTIR.
>
> I want to help my friend with APRS now, and am wondering if the Garmin nuvi
> 200w will work to send out location coordinates to xastir?
>
> It isn't just plug in and play like the other GPS was, so if it does work,
> is there anything I have to do?
>
> Thanks
> Skyler KD0WHB
>
> --