[Xastir] Do the garmin GPS's work for Trackers?

Skyler F electricity440 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:02:22 EDT 2015

Thanks, My friend KD0MLV just bought a Garmin 18x USB gps (not the older
serial one) and I am trying to help him through email get his station up.

He has been working hard trying to install drivers but not much luck has
been achieved.

What can I tell him to help out on getting that GPS to work? I saw on an
earlier message that the serial version is someones primary GPS.

The Garmin 18x is simply a USB gps. No serial data or power, it gets power
from USB and sends signals via USB. According to the last message on this
thread, are if there is no serial port does that mean we are out of luck?

The Courage Classic bike tour starts this Saturday so between my BU-353
which worked, my garmin Nuvi which I am having troubles with and his garmin
18x we need two of those GPS's to work (or last minute find a compatible
GPS at some store)

We are both on Ubuntu and thanks for any patience. My friend and I are
fairly new to linux and we're in high school.

Thanks,
Skyler KD0WHB

And by the way thanks to everyone for so much help so far.