[Xastir] Who's current on Garmin handheld GPS models?

Thomas Sprinzing thomas at sprinzing.org
Sat Jun 20 16:12:32 EDT 2015

Curt,
> I prefer Garmin, and have (I think) narrowed it down to the GPSmap 64
> and Oregon series.  I want the best sensitivity under tree cover,

my 2 ct from comparing older 60c against 276c:
the 60c outplayed the 276 under trees, mounted in the (soft-top) truck.
When the 276 lost signal, the 60 just carried on. they were mounted
right next to each other.

I attribute this to the helix antenna design in the 60 series - which
basically stayed the same throughout. It's a definite plus for the 64
series.

> Anything I need to know about using OpenStreetMaps with any of their
> newer models, should I later choose to load my own maps instead of
> paying Garmin for updates?  I saw one comment on the 'net about the
> 64st not being able to load unlocked maps, but I'm not enough of a
> Garmin nerd to know what that means.  Hopefully it doesn't prevent

The 60 will take osm maps happily, but it does croak on too big files,
which sucks dearly when you use it for street to street road travel nav.

 From what i've read in german forums, the 62/64 series will take some
of the osm maps you can get online happily. You might have to start
fiddling around with gmaptool and other pieces of software, though. on
the upside you can put a decently large size map on the sd cards in the
62/64 series, and use plain microsd. The memory cards are cheap and
avalable everywhere.

Don't know about the 64, but the 62 display was worse than the 60, if i
remember.