[Xastir] Who's current on Garmin handheld GPS models?

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 19 16:15:54 EDT 2015

Curt,
	I would be extremely interested in your machinations between the GPSMap series and the Oregon.
	I use a (very??) old GPSMap 60Csx which will run for days on two AA batteries. When it is in the
car, I have it powered via the USB slot. When on the Kayak, it is powered via the external Garmin
power cable (available on fleabay).
	It is predominantly used when we are "on foot", be it bushwalking or in an unfamiliar city. Even
when not being used for actively navigating, it remains turned on so it continues to record the
track (to USB card) as this is what I use for map edits.
	I have been using OSM data for years and contribute back quite often. When generating maps for
myself, I have even managed to overlay the Shonky maps topo data. This is a laborious process but I
have written a script that ties all the 'splitter' and 'mkgmap' options.
	The only downside to this brilliant little device is the screen size, which is getting a little
small for my aging eyes; hence my interest in the other models (the Montana has caught my eye).
	I'm happy to share what I've learnt thus far but don't want to bore the rest of the list subscribers.

Ian
VK1IAN