[Xastir] Who's current on Garmin handheld GPS models?

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 29 14:27:13 EDT 2015

Yup,
The 60 series with the round port like the 60Cs and 60CsX work fine.  One just has to set the dataport
to NMEA and not Garmin.  Only change to Garmin when communicating with a communication program
like the mapping BaseCamp or what have you.

One can get open source maps now for these devices which is pretty decent except
the search function may not be so good if you're looking for a local resturant or
what have you.  The database is not complete like the commercially available
Garmin maps.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I have the Garmin subscription for my older devices but popped out the MicroSD card
and dropped a new one with the OSM maps on it.  Pretty nice.  I can switch back and
forth.

It doesn't display icons as nicely as Xastir.  Just a flag and the callsign but it is workable.

The round port cable works with the Kenwood D7a series D72A and the Yaesu VX-8GR.
The GR, one uses the same cable as is used with the Kenwoods so one would get that
one even though it says it's only for Kenwood.  The dataport on the GR can be set to
output waypoints.

This is the cable for the 60 series round port:
http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/interface-cable-for-kenwood-ham-radio-th-d7a-tm-d700a-aprs-to-garmin-4-pin-round-gps

An old Garmin Legend will display stations on its limited map and would use this cable:
http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/interface-cable-for-kenwood-ham-radio-aprs-to-garmin-etrex-emap-geko-gps-receivers

Caution about the old used D7's.  I have two D7a(g)'s that went out of frequency spec
after a couple of years after I bought them used. They are deaf to the received signals
and have no receiving range anymore. Beware about used D7's as they may
not have as much life left.  Not worth the ~$100.00 it would take to fix them as there
would be a risk that something else could go wrong with them.

The Yaesu FT1DR I suspect one would have to make a cable that would work with the
USB port on the DR.  I don't know if it's even possible.  The GR went out of production
but is still relatively new so a used one would suffice.  The D72A is the only current in
production model but it costs.

In an old Nuvi 350, I have the Garmin maps on the internal card and OSM on the external
one and can switch back and forth.

Kurt KC9LDH