[Xastir] Using Mapbox maps on Xastir

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Wed May 13 12:23:30 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Eric H. Christensen
<eric at christensenplace.us> wrote:
> I've got an event this weekend where amateur radio will be providing the main communications support.  I've created a map[0] in Mapbox to show all the information about the route and rest stops along the way.  Here's what I'm curious about: can I use this in Xastir as I will be tracking several stations on APRS along the way?
>
> Mapbox offers an API[1] as well as the ability to download a GeoJSON and KML file.  I'm just not up on what Xastir can do cartography-wise.  What are my options, here?

Since it appears Xastir will not currently support the access token
required for this map and you have a short window of time, perhaps
there are other options to meet your needs. Any reason the map has to
be Mapbox?

In the past I have exported a bike route as a GPX file, converted to
shapefile and used a simple dbfawk file to display the route on the
map in Xastir. The shapefile will overlay on top of OSM maps. Then we
put the rest stops on the maps as APRS objects. These objects can be
transmitted to other stations on RF if you desire, or you can disable
transmit of objects if nobody else will be using APRS for your event.
Just a thought.

BTW, I was able to load the Mapbox tiles for your map in QGIS using
the TileLayer plugin and it loaded the base map. However, it didn't
seem to load your route and waypoint markers when I tried it. So
perhaps it wouldn't work for what you want even if Xastir could load
the tiles.

Unfortunately I don't have time to do any more research on this as I
have to get ready for the Dayton Hamvention!

Kevin
KB9MQU