[Xastir] Using Mapbox maps on Xastir

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Wed May 13 12:27:01 EDT 2015

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:23:30 PM Kevin Ratcliff wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Eric H. Christensen
>
> <eric at christensenplace.us> wrote:
> > I've got an event this weekend where amateur radio will be providing the
> > main communications support.  I've created a map[0] in Mapbox to show all
> > the information about the route and rest stops along the way.  Here's
> > what I'm curious about: can I use this in Xastir as I will be tracking
> > several stations on APRS along the way?
> >
> > Mapbox offers an API[1] as well as the ability to download a GeoJSON and
> > KML file.  I'm just not up on what Xastir can do cartography-wise.  What
> > are my options, here?

> Since it appears Xastir will not currently support the access token
> required for this map and you have a short window of time, perhaps
> there are other options to meet your needs. Any reason the map has to
> be Mapbox?
>
> In the past I have exported a bike route as a GPX file, converted to
> shapefile and used a simple dbfawk file to display the route on the
> map in Xastir. The shapefile will overlay on top of OSM maps. Then we
> put the rest stops on the maps as APRS objects. These objects can be
> transmitted to other stations on RF if you desire, or you can disable
> transmit of objects if nobody else will be using APRS for your event.
> Just a thought.

Yeah, I've actually started this process.  I turned the KML file into a SHP
file and now I just need to make the objects.  It's not a big deal, I was just
hoping to make everything as seemless as possible.

Thanks for your help with this.  It's been a learning experience for me as
well!

73,
Eric W4OTN/3