[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 09:30:41 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:35 AM, Ian Bennett <ibennett at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Has anyone installed this using the installation instructions on the
> website?? I

No, but I did grab the source and hack at it the usual perl way (I use perl
in my day job).

bash$ wget
https://api.metacpan.org/source/ROTKRAUT/Geo-OSM-Tiles-0.04/downloadosmtiles.pl
bash$ chmod 755 downloadosmtiles.pl
bash$ ./downloadosmtiles.pl
-bash: ./downloadosmtiles.pl: perl: bad interpreter: No such file or
directory

well, this isn't confidence-inspiring; fix the error on line 1 in the
script:

#! perl

is wrong, it should be

#! /usr/bin/perl

Now that's fixed, let's try again:

bash$  $ ./downloadosmtiles.pl
Can't locate Geo/OSM/Tiles.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at ./
downloadosmtiles.pl line 6.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./downloadosmtiles.pl line 6.
bash$

Welcome to the dependency death-spiral, perl style. Geo/OSM/Tiles.pm is
referenced by the line

use Geo::OSM::Tiles qw( :all );

To get that missing module (perl libraries are called modules, .pm), invoke
Perl's very own package manager:

bash$ sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
pan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.9402)
Enter 'h' for help.

cpan[1]>

You may have to configure CPAN at this point.  Just take defaults until it
asks you for a CPAN mirror URL (or where you are geographically).  Add a
URL for a mirror or two, google "can mirror list" if CPAN doesn't offer any
suggestions.

Once CPAN is configured, you can:

cpan[1]> install Geo::OSM::Tiles

once again, just take defaults.  CPAN attempts to follow all the
dependencies, and generally does a good job of it.  I started with CentOS 6
with a bunch of perl modules from the CentOS distro loaded but CPAN
unconfigured and it worked with no problems.

After the smoke clears, exit cpan and try again:

bash$ ./downloadosmtiles.pl --link='
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-23.5872&lon=-46.6508&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
'
Schedule 9 (3 x 3) tiles for zoom level 12 for download ...
Download 9 tiles for zoom level 12 ...
bash$

I ended up with some tiles.

Xastir will need some georeferencing information; I leave that as an
exercise for the reader. :|

-Jason
kg4wsv