[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:08:15 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Kurt <ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> One comment here is that OSM map tiles can be downloaded in one form or
> another.I downloaded 11Gb of north american data osm.bz2 over a high speed
> link over the weekendin a few hours from Geofabrik.

Looks like Geofabric also has shape file data, which xastir can consume.

IIRC, some of the OSM derived shapeless that used to be available were
problematic because the shapeless were inconsistent in a way that made
dbfawk (the method xastir uses to render shapeless into something other
than identical lines and points) development difficult.  Maybe this has
changed and it is worth looking into if someone has time.

My personal plan was to check into the approach mentioned previously by
Jason G, which is to set up a tile server.  possibly in a VM (virtual
machine). The nice thing about a VM from my perspective is that I'm already
running xastir in an ubuntu VM, so adding a fileserver VM would be
negligible additional overhead.

-Jason
kg4wsv