[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Mon Nov 16 14:36:43 EST 2015

If the goal is to make tiles available for offline use, I don't
understand why creating a NEW tile server help us achieve the goal other
than avoid OpenStreetMap's abuse clause.

To me, I would think that if we come up with an automated way to
download current OSM tiles *and* then allow individuals to be able to
upload the rendered tiles to another site for others to consume, that
would be a good first step.  Kurt KC9LDHmentioned he downloaded 11GB
worth of tiles from Geofabrikbut it's unclear what that all really
included.  Was that a large area with all zoom levels?  In many
respects, that Geofabrik download service at
http://download.geofabrik.de/ seems to be EXACTLY what I'm talking
about.  The main differences is that we'd want everything rendered down
to png files.  Next, if people can initially download initial tile
archives and later, other people could easily update and UPLOAD new
tiles, I think this would be a pretty slick solution for Xastir (maybe
other APRS clients too).   If people agree with the thought process
here, I think we first need to understand what kind of storage capacity
we're looking at here and then where can it be stored.  Could these tile
archives be stored be the current xastir.org server? To minimize
bandwidth issues, maybe downloads can be restricted to specific
"trusted" Xastir accounts/passwords/whatever?

Other ideas?

--David
KI6ZHD