[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:43:14 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

> If the goal is to make tiles available for offline use, I don't understand
> why creating a NEW tile server help us achieve the goal other than avoid
> OpenStreetMap's abuse clause.

for starters, you can take it with you.  for example, on the same computer
where you run xastir.

> To me, I would think that if we come up with an automated way to download
> current OSM tiles *and* then allow individuals to be able to upload the
> rendered tiles to another site for others to consume, that would be a good
> first step.

You missed the initial post and you have fallen for the "everyone is always
online", "bandwidth is plentiful", and "bandwidth is free" fallacies.

A full set of tiles (that's global coverage and global zoom levels) is not
practical to store (many TB or PB) - that's why the tile servers
(OpenStreetMap, etc) don't do it that way, and instead choose to generate
the requested tiles on the fly.

-Jason
kg4wsv