[Xastir] Script to cache some maps

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:16:16 EST 2015

Yea. Here are several, but it looks like I don't have OSM data on the
work machine. I do however have Tiger 2004 ESRI Shapefile format maps,
so I enabled those and did several snapshots. Looks like I might need
to do some local tweaks to get better looking fonts, but these render
fast! Of course this is a quad-Xeon machine which makes a little bit
of a difference...

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:51 PM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

> Hey Curt,
>
> Could you send us a screen capture of what your rendered ESRI Shapefile data
> looks like?  I personally don't necessarily need ultra pretty tiles but I
> definitely don't need the complexity and resource hungry requirements of
> setting up a local tile server.  If my old little Garmin handheld GPS can do
> maps pretty well from a little SD card, why can't Xastir do this too?  There
> has to be a decent compromise somewhere in this whole thread.
>
> --David
> KI6ZHD
>

> On 11/19/2015 01:44 PM, Curt Mills wrote:
>>
>> What he said...
>>
>> I prefer the fastest/smallest vector dataset that will do the job. It
>> may not be the prettiest when rendered, but I'm more interested in
>> useful data and ultimate speed than "pretty". For me that currently
>> means OSM vector data in ESRI Shapefile format, with the appropriate
>> dbfawk's to render it the way I want in Xastir. I don't use, and don't
>> desire, tiles. I would like to have contour lines as well someday, so
>> may investigate adding support for USGS DEM's at some point, or
>> perhaps I can find ESRI Shapefile maps with the countour lines already
>> drawn for me, which is perfectly adequate (and faster).
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This sorta sounds like the worst of both worlds to me - you are still
>>> tied
>>> to your home network connectivity to get maps, but you additionally have
>>> all of the hassles of running a server just to keep maps available.  ugh.
>>>
>>> I'm with Andrew, my "ultimate" is vector data that xastir can ingest
>>> directly.
>>>
>>> The only reason for me to set up a map server is if I can't get said
>>> vector
>>> data formatted for xastir.  There's a slight advantage to sourcing OSM
>>> data, since that's the FOSS GIS data du jour.  A portable tile server
>>> (e.g.
>>> mobile, incident command post, remote event HQ, etc) would likely require
>>> fairly well endowed computer (high end laptop, potent SBC like an Intel
>>> NUC, or _maybe_ a higher end ARM like a Jetson TK1).  I seriously doubt
>>> Pi/beaglebone/etc is going to get the job done as a tile server, they're
>>> just too anemic computationally.
>>>
>>> -Jason
>>> kg4wsv

Curt, WE7U