[Xastir] OSM zoom problems

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Nov 19 21:01:51 EST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 06:51:18PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <electricity440 at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> > Sounds like you are experiencing the mismatch between xastir zoom
> > levels and OSM zoom levels.  IIRC there's a way to lock xastir's zoom
> > level to the OSM levels (maybe using function keys to zoom?), but i
> > can't remember details off the top of my head.
>

>  I am still having the problem with blurry maps here, and its almost
> impossible to exit this blurry mode. I have to try every possible way to
> click and drag the zoom box to get it out of the blurry state, where text
> is difficult to read.
>
> So is there a way to lock OSM and Xastir zoom levels?

Hit F4.  The current zoom level will be set to match the nearest OSM zoom
level.  The fuzziness of OSM tiles will go away, because they'll be used
at their intended scale instead of being scaled up or down to match the current
xastir zoom level.

This is somewhat hidden, but is set in the ".geo" file for each OSM tile
set.  For example, in OSM_tiled_mapnik.geo, we have:

# When defined:
# OSM_OPTIMIZE_KEY will change the map scaling to the nearest OSM zoom level.
# OSM_REPORT_SCALE_KEY will report the present, scale_x, scale_y,
#   and OSM zoom level, but only for debug level 512 (-v 512)
#
# The values are X KeySym values.
# 65473 = F4
# 65474 = F5