[Xastir] libxp and Xastir

km5vy Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 29 18:06:43 EDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 03:53:46PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 02:41:04PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> > > Please try the following:
> > >  - edit configure.ac in the Xastir source tree, and find the following line:
> > >    AC_CHECK_LIB([Xp], [XpGetDocumentData])
> > >  - Comment out this line by adding "#" at the beginning
> > >  - Run the "bootstrap.sh" script in the source directory
> > >  - Try reconfiguring and building Xastir now
> >
> > Works on OpenSuSE-12.3, and that's by no means the latest version!
> >
> > Just another data-point.
>
> Works on my BSD system, too.

FWIW, on BSD, the Motif library still requires libXp, but it is handled
automagically by the shared library system, and explicit linking of libXp
by Xastir is not required.  In this case, installing libXm forces an install
of libXp, and the libXm library is properly linked to bring in its shared
library dependencies, so it's all good.

The problem was apparently on one system back in 2007 (which, according to my
email archives, was a SUSE system), which didn't do this properly.

I can proceed two ways --
  - wait for lots of folks to check the procedure above and see if it breaks
    their build and report in that it does.  If nobody reports that it breaks,
    check it in.
  - check it in, and wait for the complaints when it breaks someone's build.

Votes?