[Xastir] Font and Station Text style

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Apr 9 06:02:59 GMT 2016

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 09:06:56PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n7ipb at wetnet.net> flavor, containing:
> On Friday, April 8, 2016 9:45:54 PM PDT Tom Russo wrote:
> > Hmmm.
> >
> > Just built this, and now the "last heard time" stands so far off to the
> > left of a station that it almost doesn't look associated with the station.
> >
> > http://pages.swcp.com/~russo/imgs/snapshot.png
>
> It looks like you're using a proportional font so the calculated widths are wrong.   Try turning
> on Text on Black and I bet the area between the time and the symbol is a big black area.

Yes, text on black makes large, empty black blobs on the right of all the
map text.  The most noticable change was the station heard time, but
weather text is now offset to the left more than it used to, too.

Take a look at the snapshot URL again to see.  It updates every 10 minutes.
I'll leave Text on Black this way until I get home later today.

> The old code had it wrong too but because of the fixed offsets it wasn't as noticable.

Nod.

> Is this a show stopper for you?   Or am I going to have to work on figuring out how to calculate
> the whole text width.

I wouldn't say it's a show stopper, but I've been using this font set-up
for over a decade, and  I'd rather not have to change all my font choices.

I use proportional fonts for everything on the map.  It would be cool if you'd
work out the proper width.