[Xastir] Font and Station Text style

Ken Koster n7ipb at wetnet.net
Sat Apr 9 07:07:43 GMT 2016

<n7ipb at wetnet.net> flavor, containing:
> > On Friday, April 8, 2016 9:45:54 PM PDT Tom Russo wrote:
> > > Hmmm.
> > >
> > > Just built this, and now the "last heard time" stands so far off to the
> > > left of a station that it almost doesn't look associated with the
> > > station.
> > >
> > > http://pages.swcp.com/~russo/imgs/snapshot.png
> >
> > It looks like you're using a proportional font so the calculated widths
> > are wrong.   Try turning on Text on Black and I bet the area between the
> > time and the symbol is a big black area.
> Yes, text on black makes large, empty black blobs on the right of all the
> map text.  The most noticable change was the station heard time, but
> weather text is now offset to the left more than it used to, too.

I saw that and that's actually what made me immediatley suspect proportional fonts.  Those
items displayed below are calculated to be centered and also get thrown off by the fonts.

> Take a look at the snapshot URL again to see.  It updates every 10 minutes.
> I'll leave Text on Black this way until I get home later today.
>
> > The old code had it wrong too but because of the fixed offsets it wasn't
> > as noticable.
> Nod.
>
> > Is this a show stopper for you?   Or am I going to have to work on
> > figuring out how to calculate the whole text width.
>
> I wouldn't say it's a show stopper, but I've been using this font set-up
> for over a decade, and  I'd rather not have to change all my font choices.
And I hate to make changes that force people to change.
> I use proportional fonts for everything on the map.  It would be cool if
> you'd work out the proper width.

I think I might have a way to do that, and it's certainly worth some time trying to get right.  Now
that I've taken the time to figure out the way it's currently done I can probably come up with
something and not break a lot more in the process.

And now it's time to head of to breakfast with Curt and the gang.
--
Ken - N7IPB
Email: n7ipb at wetnet.net
JID: n7ipb at jabber.wetnet.net
PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A
"I have now exceeded my BFS (Budget For Stupid) for the month" - Me to  WE7U