[Xastir] Raspberry PI B ...

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 19 13:55:43 GMT 2016

On 20/04/16 07:00, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: Raspberry PI B, Rasbian Jessie, and Xastir = 100% cpu
>        (davidf4)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:09:14 -0700
> From: "davidf4" <davidf4 at mindspring.com>
> To: "'Xastir - APRS client software discussion'"
> 	<xastir at lists.xastir.org>, <n7ipb at wetnet.net>
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Raspberry PI B, Rasbian Jessie, and Xastir =
> 	100% cpu

Back to basics: have you checked ground-level configuration? Menu >
Preferences  > Raspberry Pi Configuration, Performance tab: Overclock. I
have mine set at High (950 MHz), and I suspect most units will be stable
at that. This allows xastir to fully render the screen and drop back to
around 20% CPU usage in a reasonable time.

I find zoom level 256-512 (OR the menu's selection of 1024) more than
adequate for local coverage - 8192 encompasses the whole of NZ, and
across the Tasman to Aussie.  That takes around 20 seconds to render
(mapnik in Map Chooser), so patience is the requisite virtue :) . I have
my locality as a Bookmark at zoom 400, which shows all of the local APRS
repeater's coverage, and a bit more. My (small) town shows well at zoom 40.

I run this 24/7 online (no RF), and concurrently use amule for a
file-share "collector" of rarities, at around 60-80% usage.

Hopefully helpfully ...
73, Dex ZL2DEX