[Xastir] HowTo

Fred Erickson fredferickson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 12:04:27 GMT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 20:27:34 +0200
Lasse <div.tt14 at ebnett.no> wrote:

> Seems to be a problem following this on a Linux Mint Debian (LMDE 2
> Betsy)
>
> When following all task there is a few packages missing
> lesstif2-dev
> proj
> libdb4.8-dev
>
> so when running this command: ../configure
> CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"   I get many No's and this one
>
> checking for Motif headers... configure: error: **** NO MOTIF HEADERS
> FOUND **** install Motif  development headers or use
> --with-motif-includes to specify location of Xm/Xm.h
>
> and when I try Make I get this: make: *** No targets specified and no
> makefile found.  Stop.
>
> Maybe I using a wrong version of debian ?

Hello,

I am quite new to Linux Mint so take what I'm saying with a grain of
salt.

For years I've used the CVS instructions in Xastir to built in Fedora
and everything has worked fine. Then when I decided to try Linux Mint
since so many people use a Debian based distro, and I wanted to learn
it, I ran into problems too. It seems that even though Ubuntu is Debian
based it has strayed from Debian enough so that the versions of Mint
that are based on Ubuntu are different enough from the versions of Mint
that are based directly on Debian that they are not exactly compatable
with each other.

So, make sure that you know which version of Mint you are using and
follow directions for either Debian based or Ubuntu based. It seems to
make a difference. I followed the instructions for Ubuntu Trusty on the
Xastir web site and they worked for me. Don't remember if I had to poke
and prod a bit for everything to work. Sadly I was in a hurry and
didn't take notes.