[Xastir] Pi 3 as tile server?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:19:28 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Freddie <fmhillhouse at comcast.net> wrote:

> I guess that what you are doing is significantly different than my usage.

Yep.

I track stuff - balloon and rockets.

With balloons, I do not know exactly where they will land, and I will need
fairly detailed data about the random area where they do land.  This means
that I really need a significant chunk of 3 states at _all_ zoom levels.

I'd like to be able to use this as a mapping navigation device.  i don't
expect directions, but if i could get arbitrary maps that were readable,
then i'd permanently mount it in my vehicle. in this case i'd also need
detailed tiles of an arbitrarily large area (e.g. anywhere i'm likely to
wander).  If I don't have detail it isn't any good to me.

I strongly suspect what I'm trying to do isn't really feasible, but the
cool kids are all using tiles and I thought I'd check it out.

I'll probably end up getting the new TIGER files and updating the dbfawks,
if necessary.  maybe not as pretty as a Mapnik tile, but it works for me.

-Jason
kg4wsv