[Xastir] Pi 3 as tile server?

Freddie fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 10:13:13 PDT 2016

I apologize for suggesting a hard drive.

I guess that what you are doing is significantly different than my usage. I store tiles on a hard drive (SSD, etc) that I use with APRSIS32. I do use it OFFLINE and have many gigs of tiles (OSM, aerial, topo, marine). Only recently I have added a hotspot but I still have all the tiles. I add extra tiles to them on a regular basis.

One thing I do is limit the zoom level to no deeper than 15. Other than OSM, most only go that deep anyway. For OSM, I found there is really no new data that is useful while I am in my vehicle. The only downside I find today is that the monitor resolutions are such that the pixels are so much smaller than when I started doing this. I had a 640x480 10" screen. Now the same 10" size has many more pixels which makes everything extremely small.

I have started using an uSD card myself recently and the 64GB and 128GB are dropping in price and becoming common place. However, the classic hard drives are lasting longer in my experience.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH