[Xastir] Pi 3 as tile server?

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Tue Aug 2 10:21:26 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've played with the Pi 3 a bit, and it does not seem totally useless.
> Does anyone who has experience with map tile servers have an opinion on
> using a pi 3 as a tile server?

Similar, but not quite what you're asking: I set up a Pi to serve
Sarsoft tiles. I have USGS Topo, Imagery, and USFS Topo layers for
Washington on a 128 GB USB stick. The tile format is
Google-compatible, but to make things easier on the filesystem they
come packaged in zip files. The Sarsoft server unzips tiles on an
as-needed basis while serving them. This was too much for the Pi. It
was usable, but page-load times were 10-20 seconds. I did not get as
far as testing with the files pre-unzipped. If you go this route,
choose your filesystem wisely, because it will be a lot of tiles.

If you're asking about rendering Mapnik tiles on an RPi, it's not
going to happen. The CPU, and especially memory, requirements are far
too great.

Tom KD7LXL