[Xastir] Pi 3 as tile server?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:15:56 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Freddie <fmhillhouse at comcast.net> wrote:

> assume there is a method to add contours since Thunderforest uses contours
> on some styles. ( http://www.thunderforest.com/maps/ )

Those look nice - thanks for the tip.

> As far as the typical USGS topo or aerial type tiles, downloading is
> possibly the only answer.

Yes.  I have satellite imagery for north AL somewhere.  It's a tad bulky.

One of the problems with scans of USGS quads is that TVA is the "mapping
authority" for the Tennessee River Valley, so USGS didn't have the data.  I
haven't looked in a few years, so I don't know if that is still the case,
or if there is a source besides USGS (TVA did not provide them).

I do have some USGS contour lines, can;t remember where I got them.  I
displayed them with GDAL and played a bit with conversion to shapefile.
IIRC I did not have complete coverage, and ahpefile conversion was
problematic (different dbfawk signatures at the very least, and maybe some
other differences between individual files as well.)

I (we?) will eventually have to figure out a good way to take advantage of
the OSM stuff - shapefile conversion, portable tiles server, or whatever -
since that's the direction all of the available data seems to be headed.

-Jason
kg4wsv