[Xastir] New user to xastir program

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Sat Aug 6 13:58:13 PDT 2016

Hello Russell,

It all depends on how you intend to use Xastir:

   - Connected to a radio listening to 144.390 (RF) or just an Internet
connection
   - If RF, what kind of TNC are you going to use (hardware TNC or a
software TNC)
   - If a hardware TNC, are you going to run it in command mode or KISS mode

There is lots of flexibility here so you're going to need to read some
of the documentation:

    http://xastir.sourceforge.net/docs.php   (currently pointing to the
Sourceforge CVS docs.. needs to goto the Github git version some day)
      - see the install guide and the FAQ

I also have a write up here for using with a Kenwood D710 TNC in KISS
mode with native Linux AX.25 support:
    -
http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#19b4.xastir-running

--David