[Xastir] Xastir on Windows 10

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 06:38:06 PDT 2016

Someone should do a write-up of it and add it to the Wiki pages. It sounds
like an easier Windows option than the others we currently have, by far. If
someone writes it up, I or another person with Wiki edit capability can add
it.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Hans-Peter Friedhelm Oeste <hoeste at shaw.ca>
wrote:

> Well some-one had to do it.
>
> I have Windows 10 and I forced the update to Anniversary Edition.  When
> you choose the Developer option, you can now choose to install their
> beta linux (Bash) subsytem which is a ubuntu system.
>
> Yup I installed it and it works great for commandline stuff.  But with
> a couple of minor tweaks that can be found online, and the installation
> of an X windows system, and there's at least 3 free ones, you can run
> gui Xwindows programs.  There are issues with some programs
> but..##SELECTION_END##
>
> Because the subsystem is Ubuntu based, I used the instructions in the
> wiki, specifically the great script that does all the work for you.
>  And it works flawlessly.  And running xastir, it starts up and runs
> flawlessly!  Go figure!  So Windows 10 can now be part of 'our'
> ecosystem.  Who'd of thunk it.
>
> Hans Oeste
> VE7OES.

Curt, WE7U