[Xastir] Xastir on Windows 10

Hans-Peter Friedhelm Oeste hoeste at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 18 21:17:51 PDT 2016

I will see about doing a better write-up in the next week.
Meanwhile here's a couple of URL's to get started.
To force the install of Anniversary Update:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-histor
Then, you must turn on Developer Mode via Settings > Update & security
> For developers. Next,
search for "Windows Features" and choose "Turn Windowsfeatures on or
off" and enable
Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta). After that, to install Bash, you
must open the Windows
Command Prompt and type "bash."

While you can use XMing, or Cygwin/x or XLaunch, I installed VcXsrv
from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcxsrv/ which seems to be a XLaunch
derivative.
Works well.
Then peruse the following thread from reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4ea4w4/fyi_you_can_run_gui_
linux_apps_from_bash/
Basically change file the /etc/dbus-1/session.conffile so it says
<listen>tcp:host=127.0.0.1,port=10002</listen>
and add to bashrc "export DISPLAY=:0" -- .You can do this from the bash
shell or create a custom .bashrc.
There another global version somewhere in the /etc directory but I'm
unable to hunt it down at the moment.

Restart bash and then go to the xastir ubuntu wiki and run the install
script you'll find there.  Works well.
Congrats to the author of that scripting masterpiece.

Note: Before you start xastir you need to start the xserver.  I found
it sat in my system tray waiting for a connection
to start.

You will likely get some dbus errors but they can be ignored.

One of my next projects will also be to see if ax25 can get gotten to
run, although I've never used it, so that'll
make it interesting.  I've always used xastir in a listener mode.

Hope this helps some-one get started.

Hans de VE7OES