[Xastir] Xastir on Windows 10

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 05:00:36 PDT 2016

I was able to get Xastir working in Windows 10 via the new bash
functionality and the Xming server using these 3 links:

1) This shows how to get the Win10 Anniversary Update.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

2) This shows how to get bash up and running.  You can ignore the part
about being a member of the Windows Insider program - I did, and everything
works fine.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/wsl/install_guide

3) This covers getting graphical Linux applications to work.
http://www.howtogeek.com/261575/how-to-run-graphical-linux-desktop-applications-from-windows-10s-bash-shell/

HowToGeek recommends Xming, so that's what I installed, but we know from
Hans_Peter's message that VcXsrv works as well.  After installing Xming I
did not need to do anything with a file named
/etc/dbus-1/session.conffile.  I thought it was amazingly easy to install
Xming and issue the command '​export DISPLAY=:0' in the bash shell in order
to display GUI applications via Xming.

Once the above 3 steps are done it's only a matter of installing Xastir in
Ubuntu 14.04 according to the Wiki at http://www.xastir.org.

I have no serial ports on the laptop on which I did the above.  I have this
new instance of Xastir connected to a Raspberry Pi via an AGWPE interface.
The Pi is running Ldsped and is connected to a hardware TNC, which is
connected to the VHF side of a dual band radio.

I'll see if I can get something in the Wiki this weekend.  I do like this
better than using a VM.

Lee - K5DAT

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:17 AM, Hans-Peter Friedhelm Oeste <hoeste at shaw.ca