[Xastir] New Online Maps in Git (Canada & U.S.)

David Ranch xastir at trinnet.net
Fri Aug 19 08:26:53 PDT 2016

Hey Curt,

Playing around with the new maps say aerial.geo, it works from a zoom
level of 1 to 64 but with a larger zoom level like 128, the screen is
black except for the various APRS objects when zoomed a bit.  Other maps
show all grey.  Does the black vs. grey have a significance?

    National.geo        - the screen is light grey except for the
various APRS objects
    Sub_National.geo    - the screen is light grey except for the
various APRS objects
    Sub_Regional.geo    - the screen is light grey except for the
various APRS objects
    Aerial.geo:         - works for zooms 1 to 64 then the screen is black
    ShadedRelief.geo    - works for zooms 1 to 8 then the screen is
light grey
    Topo1-10.geo       - works for zooms 1 to 8 and then the screen is
light grey
    TopoRelief1-78.geo - the screen is light grey except for the various
APRS objects

Other maps like Regional, Coutours, Hydrography, and transportation work
fine.  Maybe the black vs. grey behavior is known in Xastir but since
I'm still new to it, I'm not aware of it.  Maybe there is a way to
display in the UI something like "map not available at this zoom - try
1 to 64".  That would be a lot more user friendly.

I'm also seeing with this new Xastir version when loading these new
maps, it's not saying "loading tiles.." in the lower left.  It says "Map
not found in cache...".  Is there a way to make this a little more
intuitive?  Maybe change this to "Loading map from network..." would be
more intuitive?

Thanks again for adding these new maps!

--David
KI6ZHD