[Xastir] Xastir Digest, Vol 317, Issue 1

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Aug 24 02:47:04 PDT 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:44:53 +1200
Dexter N Muir <dexy at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Thanks Liz.
>
>     Tried taking (commenting) the CDROM out of the list, then sudo
> apt update got me this:
>
> E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource
> temporarily unavailable)
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is
> another process using it?
>
> I can use ps -A to give me the process number to kill as long as I
> know which app is stalled, but it's too cryptic for me to determine
> what the holdup is likely to be - where to now?
>

> 73,
> Dex, ZL2DEX

Personally I'd delete the lock file.
You may have crashed out of the update previously, and the lock file
could have been left behind.
Jason does suggest an automated process may be using the lock file - it
too may be unable to sort things out until the process is restarted
without the CD-ROM in the sources list.

Liz
VK2XSE