[Xastir] length of serial port fields

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:10:51 EST 2016

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> could you set
> up /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AD025GYZ-if00-port0
> to automatically link to /dev/radio ??

Sure.  I know how to write udev rules.

But:

- i'm lazy

- lack of USB uniqueness gives lots of people problems, especially linux
noobs who've never heard of udev

- lack of USB uniqueness can be solved, at least partially, by using the
unique identifiers that are provided by default in /dev/serial/by-id and
/dev/serial/by-path  (at least default in the 2 distros I use, which let's
face it are the only ones that really matter)

- a longer field length can give people who _don't_ know how/want to deal
with udev, symbolic links, etc an easy way to copy/paste a unique device
special file name into xastir, so they don't have to fight with "which one
is the TNC and which one is the GPS??  @#$^%@#^ linux!!!!"

-Jason
kg4wsv