[Xastir] length of serial port fields

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Feb 7 15:28:49 EST 2016

On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 14:10:51 -0600
Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>

> > could you set
> > up /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_FT232R_USB_UART_AD025GYZ-if00-port0
> > to automatically link to /dev/radio ??
>

> Sure.  I know how to write udev rules.
>
> But:
>
> - i'm lazy
>
> - lack of USB uniqueness gives lots of people problems, especially
> linux noobs who've never heard of udev
>
> - lack of USB uniqueness can be solved, at least partially, by using
> the unique identifiers that are provided by default
> in /dev/serial/by-id and /dev/serial/by-path  (at least default in
> the 2 distros I use, which let's face it are the only ones that
> really matter)
>
> - a longer field length can give people who _don't_ know how/want to
> deal with udev, symbolic links, etc an easy way to copy/paste a
> unique device special file name into xastir, so they don't have to
> fight with "which one is the TNC and which one is the GPS??  @#$^%@#^
> linux!!!!"
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

I didn't explain myself well.
I meant as a means to deal with the field length problem.

My son has used some different tricks to keep every serial device on my
server attached to the correct set of programs, which involved sending
an interrogation string to the device on the far end of the USB-serial
device.

Liz
VK2XSE