[Xastir] New script: ads-b.pl for snagging airplane positions

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:59:03 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Curt Mills <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I added a new script today called "ads-b.pl". It must be edited to add
>> your
>> callsign and passcode to actually use it. Perhaps I or someone else will
>> turn those into command-line options soon so you don't have to edit it.
>>
>> ​I see someone (WE7U?) has already changed it so callsign and passcode
> are command line arguments.  Also if they are not entered the user is
> prompted for them - nice.​

​I hadn't actually tried the script yet when I wrote that - had just looked
at the code.  It worked if I entered my callsign and passcode at the
command line, but it gave me errors about uninitialized ​variables if I
didn't.  It was easy to fix that, and since I was playing with the code,
anyway, I added the capability to grab the callsign from the xastir.cnf
file and use callpass to generate the passcode.

http://www.175moonlight.com/xastir/ads-b.zip

The version available via the link above works as follows:

- The user can still enter callsign and passcode as arguments when
executing the script, and those will be applied if entered.

- If executed with no arguments the script uses the callsign found in
~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf and uses callpass to generate the passcode.

- If executed with a callsign argument only (no passcode), the script uses
the callsign entered by the user and uses callpass to generate the passcode.

Yeah, probably inefficient code compared to what the hot shots can do, but
it works, so I'll declare it ugly but effective.  :-)

This looks like fun stuff to play with, so I ordered a dongle.

Lee - K5DAT