[Xastir] New script: ads-b.pl for snagging airplane positions

Max Harper kg4pid at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 15:23:42 EST 2016

APRS isn't the place for aircraft IMHO. If someone is interested in monitoring aircraft they need to check out FlightAware. They have updated the dump1090 software and call it PiAware which sends the data to their network. ADS-B can generate a lot of traffic since they send updates at like once per second. I run Dump1090 and would never dream of sending that much data to the APRS-IS and RF couldn't even come close to handling that much data. If I'm not mistaken, PiAware puts the correct aircraft icon as the aircraft type is sent in the data.
Max KG4PID