[Xastir] New script: ads-b.pl for snagging airplane positions

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:32:33 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Max Harper <kg4pid at yahoo.com> wrote:

> APRS isn't the place for aircraft IMHO. If someone is interested in
> monitoring aircraft they need to check out FlightAware. They have updated
> the dump1090 software and call it PiAware which sends the data to their
> network. ADS-B can generate a lot of traffic since they send updates at
> like once per second. I run Dump1090 and would never dream of sending that
> much data to the APRS-IS and RF couldn't even come close to handling that
> much data. If I'm not mistaken, PiAware puts the correct aircraft icon as
> the aircraft type is sent in the data.

Read my postings on that subject. It's a LOCAL DISPLAY...  No ham radio or
internet involved. For my purposes I often don't have internet access (SAR
Missions), so FlightAware24 is not the right solution for me. An SDR dongle
and Xastir as the local display is. Plus I can see APRS traffic on the same
map at the same time. Win-win.

--
Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u