[Xastir] New script: ads-b.pl for snagging airplane positions

David Brooke G6GZH xastir at dbrooke.me.uk
Thu Feb 25 15:59:27 EST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:56:06AM -0800, Curt Mills wrote:

> Again, it doesn't send ANYTHING to RF or INET unless the user specifically
> tries to do so. The script just injects packets into Xastir itself, so it's
> a local display.

I decided to try the script and at first things seemed fine but after a
while I noticed my rig keying up. It was sending ADS-B stuff to RF,
though seemingly delayed since it continued after I shut down the script
and so I also shut down xastir.

Checking on aprs.fi shows that I also sent some data to APRS-IS even
though I don't have xastir configured as an igate (I have G6GZH-1
running aprx for that).  This is the first I see on aprs.fi raw log so
appears to be direct from my xastir and not igated elsewhere from my RF
transmission:

2016-02-25 20:30:08 UTC: G6GZH>APX206,TCPIP*,qAC,T2EISBERG:)406541!5154.38N/00002.62W^320/271/A=007250 EZY41KD

> However: The possibility does exist so I want to make sure it doesn't
> happen by mistake.

So I'm unsure what I might have configured in xastir to cause this if it
is not the expected default behaviour.

David G6GZH