[Xastir] New script: ads-b.pl for snagging airplane positions

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 16:11:25 EST 2016

I should have thought of that! If you're using the same callsign to inject
as you're using in your Xastir instance, Xastir "adopts" those APRS Items
as its own and starts retransmitting them. We use that to good effect in
some instances to get Xastir to do that very thing.

Switch to a different SSID for injection and that problem should go away.
For instance WE7U-1 instead of WE7U.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:59 PM, David Brooke G6GZH <xastir at dbrooke.me.uk>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:56:06AM -0800, Curt Mills wrote:
> >
> > Again, it doesn't send ANYTHING to RF or INET unless the user
> specifically
> > tries to do so. The script just injects packets into Xastir itself, so
> it's
> > a local display.
>
> I decided to try the script and at first things seemed fine but after a
> while I noticed my rig keying up. It was sending ADS-B stuff to RF,
> though seemingly delayed since it continued after I shut down the script
> and so I also shut down xastir.
>
> Checking on aprs.fi shows that I also sent some data to APRS-IS even
> though I don't have xastir configured as an igate (I have G6GZH-1
> running aprx for that).  This is the first I see on aprs.fi raw log so
> appears to be direct from my xastir and not igated elsewhere from my RF
> transmission:
>
> 2016-02-25 20:30:08 UTC:
> G6GZH>APX206,TCPIP*,qAC,T2EISBERG:)406541!5154.38N/00002.62W^320/271/A=007250
> EZY41KD
>
> > However: The possibility does exist so I want to make sure it doesn't
> > happen by mistake.
>
> So I'm unsure what I might have configured in xastir to cause this if it
> is not the expected default behaviour.
>
> David G6GZH

Curt, WE7U
http://wetnet.net/~we7u