[Xastir] Kubuntu _and_ Raspberry Pi build fails - Debian attempt

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 21:05:04 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Dexter N Muir <dexy at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>> OK, still investigating. I've been wondering if Debian Jessie will work.
> Sadly, no. I've found it to be a pig! My hardware (i3, hp, so not too
> shabby or too slick either) doesn't work with bog-standard net drivers, so
> re-do from start with 4GB Try/Install stick, find out how to get net
> working (by updating sources.list with non-free), and use it to install to
> HD. Days' effort and research. Then find the Debian script. Sorry, Lee,
> yours is for 6 (Squeeze). You've built a 7, so something must have worked.

​I know I've built Xastir successfully in Debian 7​ (Wheezy).  I just
didn't make a script for it other than the one for the Raspian version for
the Raspberry Pi.

> Try the script anyway. No go. Edit: 6 and Squeeze become 8 and Jessie. Try
> it. Nope, edit again. libdb doesn't need numbers, simple - but lesstif is
> deprecated. OK, change to motif (limotif0 for runtime? and libmotif-dev).
> Try again. Build, but no raster or OSM in chooser. imagemagick not working?
> Where to now? I'm about at the limit of my skills - and patience!

​It sounds like ​Debian Jessie may have the same problem with the
ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick dev packages that is present in Ubuntu 15.10.

> Debian doesn't seem to want to use sudo. Several su -c's in script is
> obtrusive. I've noted elsewhere the ability to hold info in a shell
> variable: would this help or be applicable?

​It is possible to change your Debian installation to use sudo.  ​What's
the problem with 'su -c' in the scripts - too many password prompts?

 I note, Lee, you have a Pi script for Jessie - that might work, I'll give
it a whirl...

> Nope, thrown out looking for ui/binary/armhf/Packages in sources.list.

​I'll plan to remove the Raspian-Jessie version of the script.  That was
something I threw together for you to try based on your previous
observations about what needed to change from Wheezy to Jessie.  I didn't
have anything to test it on.  I haven't upgraded my Raspberry Pi to Jessie
yet.​

​Lee - K5DAT​