[Xastir] Kubuntu _and_ Raspberry Pi build fails - Debian attempt

Dexter N Muir dexy at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 6 19:47:18 EST 2016

On 23/12/15 06:00, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:51:45 +1300
> From: Dexter N Muir<dexy at xtra.co.nz>
> To:xastir at lists.xastir.org
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Kubuntu_and_  Raspberry Pi build fails
>
> More to the story, folks.
>
>      It's been a while, but I'm still on the case. I went through a
> laborious process: clear off a 4GB USB stick for mkusb to create a
> Kubuntu 15.04 stick (non-persistent) to then create a persistent 15.04
> USB stick (8MB, which left me enough room to play. It has all I need for
> mobile use too, except storage room). In the process, 2x 16GB sticks
> failed, one now permanently read-only, the other permanently completely
> blank. $30-odd down the drain:(
>      xastir built perfectly on this 8G stick, so the problem is somewhere
> in the libgraphicsmagick-dev or its use or supporting lib(s). The
> Kubuntu upgrade 15.04->15.10 or the RasPi upgrade Wheezy->jessie kills
> the ability to build.
>      The 8GB stick doesn't have enough room to upgrade to 15.10, so I'm
> about to create a 15.04 on a HD partition which will. That will tell me
> if a 15.04 build will run in 15.10 (will it use the upgraded runtime
> libs?). I haven't tried to upgrade Wheezy->jessie on the Pi to test this
> there - SD cards are expensive to me too. I just burn a Jessie image and
> tailor it.
>
>      Anyone else done any more yet?
>
> Hopefully,
> Dex, ZL2DEX

OK, still investigating. I've been wondering if Debian Jessie will work.
Sadly, no. I've found it to be a pig! My hardware (i3, hp, so not too
shabby or too slick either) doesn't work with bog-standard net drivers,
so re-do from start with 4GB Try/Install stick, find out how to get net
working (by updating sources.list with non-free), and use it to install
to HD. Days' effort and research. Then find the Debian script. Sorry,
Lee, yours is for 6 (Squeeze). You've built a 7, so something must have
worked. Try the script anyway. No go. Edit: 6 and Squeeze become 8 and
Jessie. Try it. Nope, edit again. libdb doesn't need numbers, simple -
but lesstif is deprecated. OK, change to motif (limotif0 for runtime?
and libmotif-dev). Try again. Build, but no raster or OSM in chooser.
imagemagick not working? Where to now? I'm about at the limit of my
skills - and patience!
Debian doesn't seem to want to use sudo. Several su -c's in script is
obtrusive. I've noted elsewhere the ability to hold info in a shell
variable: would this help or be applicable?
I note, Lee, you have a Pi script for Jessie - that might work, I'll
give it a whirl...
Nope, thrown out looking for ui/binary/armhf/Packages in sources.list.

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes WTF...

Scratching head,
Dex ZL2DEX.