[Xastir] Kubuntu _and_ Raspberry Pi build fails

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jan 6 21:29:18 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 09:18:12PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> ???.  There was a similar one installed that appeared to be equivalent.  The
> names escape me now.  When attempting to build Xastir in Ubuntu 15.10 the
> configure script points to not finding key files that would normally be
> provided by the dev packages for imagemagick or GraphicsMagick.  With
> respect to GraphicsMagick, I'm not sure exactly what this message means...
>

> ???"
> ???
> checking for WriteImage in -lGraphicsMagick"
> ???
> ... no ???
>
> ???If this issue is also present in 16.04 this April I'm sure it will get
> more attention.???  15.10 is basically a lame duck release.

I bet dollars to donuts that there is a missing dependent library, and the
test is failing.  Configure works by creating a small test program that
calls "WriteImage" and then tries to link that test program with
-lGraphicsMagick.  If the link fails, it reports that the function does not
exist, but there are often other reasons for the failure.

Look in config.log and see what the linker is actually complaining about.  I'll
bet it's complaining about some other function not being defined when linking
-lGraphicsMagick.  Then the trick is to find what library provides *THAT* and
why it hasn't already been added to LIBS.

Our configure script is supposed to use
  GraphicsMagick-config --libs
to get the correct libs line to use.  That, in turn, is supposed to return
a list of all "-l" arguments that should be used to link with GraphicsMagick.
If there is something missing in that list, it could cause this problem.