[Xastir] Changes to the Xastir compile/install procedure

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:24:36 PDT 2016

Check out "README.GIT". I included the relevant portion of it below,
detailing the new compile/install procedure for Xastir. The main difference
is that we make a "build" directory one up from the Xastir directory and do
the configure/make/make install from there.

What this allows:
1) Creating multiple build directories, one for each possible target,
without the builds interfering.
2) Keeping the source directories pristine (no *.o files there!)

We've tweaked the update-xastir script and the README's in Git to
correspond.

What we could use help with is all of the install instructions on the
Xastir Wiki for various OS'es. The CVS instructions need to be converted to
the new Git instructions.

Any help appreciated!

----------
     Here are the commands to do if you want a clean build of the latest
     sources, and want configure to recheck all the libraries and header
     files that Xastir needs:

         cd Xastir
         git pull
         ./bootstrap.sh
         cd ..
         mkdir build
         cd build
         ../Xastir/configure
         (make clean;make -j3 2>&1) | tee make.log
         su
         make install   # make install-strip can be used after the first
time,
                             # it removes debugging info from executable
         chmod 4555 /usr/local/bin/xastir   # only needed if using kernel
AX.25
         exit (from root)
         xastir