[Xastir] Xastir development source now on github, sourceforge CVS now closed to new commits.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jul 8 19:03:48 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 08:47:29PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> > >     %configure --without-graphicsmagick --with-rtree
> > >
> > >        That seems BAD since we know that GraphicsMagick support is
> > > probably more reliable than say ImageMagick today.
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > Here's the thing.  Folks come and go on this project, contributing little
> > things for their favorite operating system, scripts that have made their
> > own lives easier, etc.  And they got committed into CVS, even though the
> > developers themselves don't use them.
> >
> ???
> Wouldn't a developer still have to commit stuff like that into CVS????
>
> ???I've written Xastir related scripts before, but I've never tried to get
> them into the repository.  I did show Curt a revised version of the ads-b
> script a while back, but that was an attempt to get him to incorporate some
> or all of my changes into his - not to add a separate script to the repo.
> Did some non-Developers have the rights to commit changes into CVS?

That's the part of "folks come and go" --- over the years lots of folks
have done enough useful stuff to have been given commit access, and even
when they haven't, they've given a convincing enough argument at the time
that someone just went ahead and added something to CVS that was sent
over the transom and sounded useful.  But without someone actively maintaining
a niche script, its presence in CVS (or git, now) gives the illusion of
support that isn't there.