[Xastir] Maps?

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:24:32 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 8:54 AM, David Ranch <xastir at trinnet.net> wrote:

> I've never used any of this dbfawk capability before but beyond it's
> offline ability, I've always been curious on it's performance benefits,
> maybe it's better looking than OSM, etc.  Could you post some screen
> captures of what things look like on your tuned dbfawk setup with a zoom of
> 128 compared to say Online/OSM_tiled_mapquest.geo (works well but always
> strikes me as a bit "dark".
>
> Maybe when you have a good example of what can be done with dbfawk, you
> can check it into Git and I can load it in to check it out?  Though I've
> never used this feature, my Xastir build is fully featured so it "should"
> work.  (famous last words)

Vector maps aren't all that pretty, but they're fast! No point in sending
an image 'cuz you'd be disappointed compared to raster maps as far as
"pretty".

Xastir has ESRI Shapefile capability built-in. This gives you vector maps
with one-pixel-wide all-black lines, displayed at all zoom levels.

To change the display of these lines so they are wider based on certain
parameters (number of lanes perhaps, rivers versus creeks perhaps), to
change the colors of objects, or to make some things visible at some zoom
levels but not at others, you use dbfawk files to do this. Also: If you
want any of the objects labeled you need dbfawks.

--
Curt, WE7U
http://we7u.wetnet.net