[Xastir] Some Pocket Chip Success

Kurt ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 15 11:50:12 PDT 2016

Hey,
  I ordered a Pocket CHIP last summer for the heck of it and it arrived last week. Next Thing Co.   After getting through some issuesof flashing the thing with the 4.4 GUI  C.H.I.P. Flasher I got Xastir through apt-get.  It's a Debian Jessie distro and the 4.4 and 4.3 gui'swith Gnome run on the Pocket CHIP.  Just some issues with window size positions but I found putting the taskbar at the bottom of the screenworks better.  I had a situation when some of Xastir screens had to be repositioned and I couldn't get 'em closed.  I used the online OSM maps and APRS-IS.  It's not bad.  I'm going to try to pair with a B/T GPS to get the local position in and either aMobilinkd, AP510 or an EggFinder NMEA receiver for APRS or remote monitoring tracking.  One kicker is I had to use a standard USB or Rf USB mouse to get it going but was able to then pair a B/T mouse if I wanted to use it.     If I could configure the screens to be "draggable" with a mouse so I can get at some of the Xastir menus it would be nicer but I've just started outwith it.  I'll have to see if there's enough room to use some of the Tiger or Cloudmade maps of where I live.
  B/T I think will work o.k. for APRS and NMEA as I was able to get an old Royaltek B/T GPS paired and after I apt-get minicom, the strings weredisplayed beautifully in a terminal.
  Even though the screen is small, Xastir fills the whole thing and it's more usable than I though it would be.  Kurt